Residential development forecasts assume the number of dwellings in Te Aro will increase by an average of 140 dwellings per annum to 8,855 in 2043.
The addition of dwellings to the housing stock is a major driver of population growth in an area, providing opportunities for households to relocate from other areas or new households to form locally (such as young people leaving the family home or separations/divorces).
Residential development can take various forms depending on the availability of land. These include new housing estates on greenfield sites, subdivision in existing residential neighbourhoods (often called infill development), conversion of industrial lands to residential lands, and densification of housing by building up.
.id's forecasters worked with Council planners to understand the likely development activity in each small area. This forms the development assumptions for the forecasts. This table shows the quantity of new development assumed in each small area in Wellington City. Select each small area to see detailed assumptions.
List of forecast land developments and infill assumptions:
2013-2016 dwelling additions are based on an assessment of major site activity and building approvals, lagged by 12-18 months. Assumptions concerning development over the forecast period include:
- Appartmento Il Casino - 34 dwellings (2014)
- Clyde Quay Apartments - 75 dwellings (2014)
- Canvas Apartments - 22 dwellings (2014)
- The Peak Apartments Tower 2 - 73 dwellings (2015)
- Elevate Apartments - 82 dwellings (2015)
- 77 Abel Smith Street (Cnr Abel and Victoria) - 24 dwellings (2017)
- Ink Apartments - 52 dwellings (2017-2018)
- Stalla Apartments - 60 dwellings (2018)
- 9-11 Garrett Street - 22 dwellings (2018)
- 53 Dixon Street - 99 dwellings (2018-2019)
- Victoria Street Precinct Apartments (166 Victoria Street) - 140 dwellings (2018-2019)
- Victoria Quarter - 389 dwellings (2019-2025)
- 2040 Plan Prospective Sites - 847 dwellings (2019-2033)
- 160 Victoria Street - 116 dwellings (2020-2021)
- Aldborough Apartments - 52 dwellings (2020-2024)
- 24-36 Haining Street - 59 dwellings (2022-2023)
- 5 Ebor Street - 13 dwellings (2023)
- 111 Dixon Street (Sharp Building - confidential) - 200 dwellings (2023-2026)
- Moderate-high level of infill development (12-120 dwellings per annum)